On the bank with Dave Binns Angling

Follow my adventures as I travel around the Yorkshire area catching a variety of species from a wide range of different venues, from northern spate rivers to the clearer waters of the River Calder and a few lakes and forgotten ponds inbetween.
I hope you enjoy reading about them half as much as I do fishing them.
You can also follow me on face book by clicking here
Keep checking back for news of some exciting products that I have in the pipe line!

Monday 27 August 2012

Trent trip

 Yesterday saw me heading down to the tidal Trent with my mate Martin for a bit of a social and some barbel fishing. Neither of us have done much fishing down that end of the river and as such we had both had to stock up on appropriate gear before hand.

 With the high tide due around 4pm we set off after dinner to give our self's plenty of time to get there, find some swims and get set up ready to fish into dark before it started to run off. As we made our way along the bank we were met with a group of lads who had just finished a match, a couple of the lads gave us some info on the pegs that normally produce the barbel so we opted to fish a couple of them but to be honest I would have picked one very close to those anyway going by the info I had been given prior to our journey down.

 We were both fishing by the time the river had backed up although we decided against putting much bait in just yet other than what was in the feeder. As it just started to move downstream again Martin decided to fill it in whilst I was a little more reserved figuring that as I was on the downstream swim fish would have to pass me and my bait anyway. We were both getting plenty of small taps and knocks and it wasn't long after the tide had started to run properly that Martin was into a fish only for it to cut him off on something shortly after hooking into it. Soon after I was into a fish which turned out to be bream.

Martin was next to hook a fish and this time succeeded in landing a new PB of 8lb 14oz













It then went a bit quiet for a while before I landed a bream all of 12oz. As darkness fell the river came alive and barbel were rolling regularly, only trouble was they seemed to be a little further out than we were fishing and mostly two or three swims further up. Soon after full darkness had fallen my downstream rod hooped over and I bent into some weight only for it to snag me, I quickly made my way downstream to get below and soon had the fishing moving. It made a couple of short runs and did put a good bend in my rod but once I slid it into the net I found it was a bream of around 4lb with a mass of weed around is head.

 Despite the fish continuing to roll and splosh around we had no more fish and packed up around 10pm.
I cant wait to go again and even though I didn't manage any barbel the only thing to spoil it was the 15 quids worth of new feeders I lost trying to get them back up over a large shelf that must have been like a shear rock face the way it dropped straight down off the edge of it!

Well done to Martin on the PB.

No comments:

Post a Comment